Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Garden State (2004)


It's not often that I break the mold from writing about "frowny" Burt Reynolds action movies from the early 80's, or over the top action, OR even sci-fi cult classics, but strangely enough I was compelled to write about a film that I lumped into the category of a "Chick-Flick" for so many years... The film is 2004's Garden State, directed by Zach Braff of Scrubs fame. This is a film that I heard so much talk about in my high school days, more from girls I had relationships with or talked to on Instant Messenger in the early to mid 2000's. Naturally I wrote the film off. I was still chugging down Scorsese films and Z-Grade horror trash, that I didn't think I could stoop to the level of watching something as bubbly as this. Fast forward to 2017, I'm 25 and like the lead of this film, still doesn't know what the hell to do with my life.


So on Saturday, after running all over the state of Pennsylvania buying $2 Blu-Rays from Pawn Shops and overpriced CED's from a Surplus Warehouse in Pottstown, I made my way home. On the way home a friend and I decided to stop at my local FYE. For some reason this film randomly popped in my brain. I walked into the mall with the goal of purchasing the film on DVD and I did for the price of $3.99. What followed was probably one of the best movie viewing experiences I've had in months especially in this genre. 

The film opens with Zach Braff's character, Andrew Largeman, a struggling actor and waiter in Los Angeles making his way home to New Jersey to bury his mother. We quickly come to realize he has not been home in years and has a somewhat estranged relationship with his father. After complaining about some head aches, his father, who also doubles as Andrew's Psychiatrist, sends him to one of his colleagues. While in the waiting room, Andrew meets Sam, who is wonderfully played by Natalie Portman. After a wonderful scene in which Sam notices that Andrew is an actor, she has him listen to her music, telling him that it will "Change His Life". 


During the doctors appointment we find out that Andrew's father has made Andrew emotionally numb for years from prescribing a series of anti-depressants. Andrew decides to go off of them during his time in New Jersey to have almost like a mental vacation. After the doctors appointment Andrew finds Sam outside to which he offers her a ride home. They go back to her house where one of the best scenes of the film takes place. In Sam's room she gets up moves around and makes a weird noise, to break the awkwardness inviting Andrew to do the same stating that "This is your one opportunity to do something that no one has ever done before and that no one will ever copy throughout human existence. And if nothing else, you will be remembered as the one guy who ever did this. This one thing" 


We see during the rest of the movie, Andrew and Sam's relationship grow, as they hang out and eventually go on a quest with Andrew's friend Mark which leads to a major plot point of the film which I will not give away. I don't want to give away the ending, but it definitely gives you a good feeling that things will be okay after all in life. Especially when you are in your mid-twenties and you are still waiting for life to really start. This film is a classic in every regard, and I regret that it took me 13 years after release to take it in. Although honestly, I think being in my mid-twenties now, it was the perfect time to watch this film. We all go through rough patches in life and sometimes we need a little reminder that things aren't so bad and can be better. The soundtrack shines as well with tracks from Coldplay and The Shins. It's been on in my car for the last three days. If you haven't seen this one, get it ASAP. 

No comments:

Post a Comment