Thursday, October 20, 2016

RONIN (1998)



It's definitely been a long ass time since I decided to take up my keyboard and blog about a movie. It also has been a long time coming that I gave my first Dolby Digital laserdisc of Ronin (1998) a spin through my Pioneer CLD-1070. So as I sit here on a Thursday evening wrapping up this film that is rattling my house with bass, I figured I would talk about it.


Ronin starts off introducing us to a ragtag bunch of mercenaries lead by what we gather to be as a member of the IRA, Deidra (Natascha McElhone). A team is assembles to procure a case. We don't know what is in the case. The team made up of Sam (Robert DeNiro) and a few other notables including Vincent (Jean Reno) and we are briefly treated to a Sean Bean appearance as he is emasculated by DeNiro over a cup of coffee and a whiteboard. (Classic DeNiro shines here)


Without giving too much away, we fast forward 45 minutes and DeNiro and Reno get double crossed by Deidra and her IRA friends once the case is procured. The rest of the film, we are treated to excellent car chases, great gunplay and a somewhat decent plot. Everyone is making a play for the case in this film, from the Russians to the IRA. Although sometimes hard to follow, the case in question has a bit of a "Pulp Fiction" feel to it as we do not know what is inside the case. 


I enjoyed Reno and DeNiro's relationship during this film. DeNiro's character seems to have been around the block as far as being Ex CIA. The two actors work together well and create a dynamic that keeps the film moving even when the plot gets a little convoluted. My laserdisc copy looks and sounds great, and still holds up well 18 years after release. The Dolby Digital sound rocked my vintage Hi-Fi equipment and added to the experience. The film is pretty accessible on most formats, so give it a whirl if you get the chance. I hope to be writing a little more now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment